Friday, October 19, 2007

A car accident...

Yesterday we were on our way to GTDM and Shell's house and while driving down the highway an SUV swerved into our lane right towards us, it had been traveling the other way and apparently another car pulled out in front of it to turn, the SUV hit the smaller car, swerved and came towards us. Thank GOD DH was driving, I saw the SUV come towards us, DH swerved to avoid it and then pieces of the car and bumper came at us and he swerved again. All I could do was say "Dear Jesus" but it was enough. We're all OK, DH got out to see if anyone was injured while I stayed with the girls, he then ran back and got me and asked me to go see if they needed my help. In my former life I was a nurse. So I get there and there is a Doc and an EMT on the scene, witnesses to the accident. So I let them focus on the driver while I took care of her elderly mother in the backseat, she was very shaken up. The SUV had hit the front drivers side and the driver was banged up, they had to land a helicopter on the highway to transport her. I just stood there with
her mom and held her and prayed over her. I just kept reassuring her. We were there for a good 2 hours.The mother was worried about her daughter (of course). I don't think that ever goes away. The helicopter landed near our car so Diva got to see that. DH got some pictures, just of the helicopter, neither of the girls saw anyone injured. The family kept thanking me for being there with them, but really how could I not be? I was in their shoes once, even if I wasn't they needed someone and not for medical purposes but just someone there. When I went back to the car Diva goes, "mama, were you helping someones grandma?" Bless her heart, both the girls were so good, they didn't cry or fuss to get out, they just sat there. Even when we waited for the state trooper to interview us. Good thing I had packed food even if we were on our way to dinner- I always try to have food and drinks. I also was taking chocolate chip cookies I had just baked with Diva that afternoon to Shell's house so I shared those with everyone.
I have to admit I was shaken up when they started trying to get the door pulled off the vehicle. I was in a rollover in 2000, by the grace of God I had no broken bones. I was in ICU for nine days. But I remember laying there with the car almost on top of me, I had rolled four times they said and a barb wired fence stopped me from rolling the fourth time and cutting my body in half because my seat belt had come undone. I remember the sound of the car, it rolled so easy, like when you roll a toy block, and the sound was like a carnival ride. I kept praying over and over again, "Dear God please make it stop". Every step of the way God was there. From stopping the car on a thin piece of barbed wire, to the people he sent to stay with me and call for an ambulance. One man, Darren, I came to know as a friend. He stopped and was talking to me and I being a nurse had already assessed my injuries, I was either going to die or have a LONG road to recovery, I was sure my back was broken although I didn't feel any pain. So I told him and everyone there who was fussing over me I said "I'm OK, I'll be OK I am going home, but can someone please pray for my family? They aren't saved, they don't know Jesus." I was so ready to go see Jesus, I was... almost excited. I had such a peace about it. I was going to get to go see Jesus!! Darren assured me he would pray for them and ran to my car and brought my bible to me and he asked me if I had a favorite passage so I said "Psalm 27" He turned to the psalm and I recited it as he read it. They got me out of the car with the jaws of life. The only injuries I had were bruised internal organs, chemical burns on my face from the air bag and cuts from when they dragged me across broken glass. Darren visited me in ICU a few days later and cried when he saw me, he was sure I wasn't going to make it either. My recover wasn't long, I didn't need any physical therapy or anything. I thank God for the wisdom and tenderness He gave to the people around me that day. I thank Him that the people I had asked to take that car trip with me did not come with. I pray that my family saw a glimpse of Christ in that situation.
God had been working on my heart during that time and Psalm 27 was such a comfort to me. I had just gotten out of a relationship, a relationship that in no way honored God or was what He had intended for me. But I still hurt, I cried out to Him and I was comforted. I rested in Him, and He drew me back towards Him with grace and mercy in spite of the fact that I was rebellious and knew I was every step of the way. I read that psalm over and over again, I memorized it... God would not forsake me, He was/is my light and my salvation. It was His face that I would seek.
I keep telling DH that I am so thankful, we have such a good life, God has blessed us tremendously and continues to do so. I have such a wonderful DH who loves me, two great girls... awesome extended family and friends. We are so blessed!

Psalm 27

A Psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked came against me
To eat up my flesh,
My enemies and foes,
They stumbled and fell.
3 Though an army may encamp against me,
My heart shall not fear;
Though war may rise against me,
In this I will be confident.

4 One thing I have desired of the LORD,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD,
And to inquire in His temple.
5 For in the time of trouble
He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle
He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.

6 And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me;
Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.

7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice!
Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
8 When You said, “Seek My face,”
My heart said to You, “Your face, LORD, I will seek.”
9 Do not hide Your face from me;
Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not leave me nor forsake me,
O God of my salvation.
10 When my father and my mother forsake me,
Then the LORD will take care of me.

11 Teach me Your way, O LORD,
And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.
12 Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries;
For false witnesses have risen against me,
And such as breathe out violence.
13 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the LORD
In the land of the living.

14 Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment