Sunday, June 1, 2008

Smells and memories...

Tonight I was making dinner. Trying to recreate a dish my mom used to make us, I could have called but I was in a hurry to get the girls fed and I was up for a challenge. As I was making dinner I kept recalling different spices and flavorings that I remembered in that one dish. Star anise, ginger, cinnamon, caramelized sugar... it was so interesting. I can hardly remember what I ate for lunch yesterday but I could recall these aromas. Then an interesting thing happened, Diva called out from the living room and said, "mom, are you making hand rice!!?" I had no clue what she was talking about so I asked her to come repeat what she said closer to me. She came over to me and said, "are you making hand rice?" and I finally understood that she meant sweet glutoneous rice, and I said to her, "yes honey, did you smell it all the way from the living room and know what it was??" She said she did, and did a little happy food dance. Amazing how the senses are. I wonder if she will have similar memories with certain smells that will remind her of our kitchen now. I hope so.
I am off to update a little on GPAC, I am not sure yet, maybe tonight's meal will be on there, or I might just save it for my girls. It did turn out delicious by the way. I do want to get up a recipe that a reader asked for... and my sis emailed me about one too. No promises though, I have a cook book to update.
Speaking of smells, I am down to my last TWO cups of Spice of life chai from Healing Pixie! EEEP what's a girl to do???

No comments:

Post a Comment