Saturday, June 25, 2011

My heart is broken.

The Little Princess. Rated G. The movie I picked out for the girls to watch tonight. No harm right? Classic children's book. Heartwarming. Better than most "princess" stories and characters out there now a days. All three of my girls watched it. Some snuggling in real close when Miss Minchin was mean, that was a little scary. What I didn't predict was the last 15 minutes of the film was the waterworks. Now, Diva I is sensitive and she cries during movies. I bawl like a baby. That's just the way it is. Piglet, she gets sad for characters.
So we're all snuggled up and the last 15 minutes of this movie where little Sara is crying out to her father to remember her, because he has amnesia. The police are tearing her away from him, he doesn't remember her. Piglet starts BAWLING, sobbing until she almost throws up and runs away.  Pixie is also bawling, tears, loud crying. I stop the movie. 9 minutes left, look over at Diva and her eyes are red. Piglet runs down to her dad. I'm holding Pixie, who's 2,  says to me clutching her little chest, "my heart is broken, it hurts" and sobs again. I. am. a. horrible. mom. I don't even know where she got that from or if she's heard it before, none of us mentioned broken hearts tonight. Sigh. Piglet brings DH up and he sits with us to watch the last nine minutes. 
Nine minutes folks, I figured we've gone this far and they needed to know that in the end things turn out OK. Sara's father remembers her and all is well. Except Miss Minchin, which is now on the streets as a chimney sweep, sad. After the movie the girls feel better, Pixie looks at me and says, "my heart isn't broken anymore mommy." Well, thank God for that.
I'm thankful they are compassionate, sympathetic, and empathetic. Sure, not always. They are kids- most of the time they are at each others throats. Looking out for themselves. In spite of who their mother is, they have soft little hearts. I pray it always stays that way.
I asked Piglet if she liked the movie in the end. She said something about Sara's dad being gone so long. I said well, he had long work. That's what daddy used to do. But he didn't go to that kind of long work. Erm. Yes he did. So young, has that much time past and she doesn't remember? Diva remembers, not in detail, not that she was given details. Still... the Lord restores the years the locusts have eaten.
Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly
appear. (Isaiah 58:8 NlV)

No comments:

Post a Comment