** please note, I don't dread Halloween, just needed a title. And I Am a bit dramatic at times**
Halloween has come and gone... this was Diva's first year at public school, before that she went to a Christian school so I wasn't sure what to expect.
We don't celebrate Halloween, whatever you call it and which ever history you take the day/night from. All Hallow's eve, Samhain, day of the dead, whatever. We know that people do and we respect that but we just don't. So this year I talked a little bit more in depth with Diva about the history of the day and why we don't celebrate it, but I focused more on what we DO celebrate and why- thankfulness- Thanksgiving, Jesus on Christmas and Easter, she knows about passover though we don't have a Seder, but I'd love to take them to one, etc. We also talked about other people celebrating Halloween and that was OK. (We have the same talk when Christmas rolls around about Santa, I know we're horrible, but she knows who the real Saint Nicolas was and not to ruin it for other kids so don't knock down my door if you do Santa).
I know that in school everything is pretty generic, but there was still some decor and such that I wish wasn't there- skulls and what not. Oh well. Piglet said today, "I hate Halloween" and we told her there was no reason to hate it at all we just don't have to celebrate it. No biggie. It's NOT a salvation issue ;-) and certainly not a sin. To most of the general public, Halloween is trick or treating and just that, anyway.
The girls have gone to fall festivals, church activities and even to the neighbors last year, so it's one of those things where we just want them to know what everyone is "celebrating" instead of just going along and doing what the crowd is doing, if they decide later they want in on the festivities that's fine. Until they are much older and maybe out of the house though no bloody gory costumes.
Anyway blah blah blah, that being said Diva had a parade at her school so we went to watch. I let them dress up in their dress up clothes we already had. They thought it was so fun, but when we went out shopping and to dinner that night they wanted to just wear their everyday clothes.
Halloween has come and gone... this was Diva's first year at public school, before that she went to a Christian school so I wasn't sure what to expect.
We don't celebrate Halloween, whatever you call it and which ever history you take the day/night from. All Hallow's eve, Samhain, day of the dead, whatever. We know that people do and we respect that but we just don't. So this year I talked a little bit more in depth with Diva about the history of the day and why we don't celebrate it, but I focused more on what we DO celebrate and why- thankfulness- Thanksgiving, Jesus on Christmas and Easter, she knows about passover though we don't have a Seder, but I'd love to take them to one, etc. We also talked about other people celebrating Halloween and that was OK. (We have the same talk when Christmas rolls around about Santa, I know we're horrible, but she knows who the real Saint Nicolas was and not to ruin it for other kids so don't knock down my door if you do Santa).
I know that in school everything is pretty generic, but there was still some decor and such that I wish wasn't there- skulls and what not. Oh well. Piglet said today, "I hate Halloween" and we told her there was no reason to hate it at all we just don't have to celebrate it. No biggie. It's NOT a salvation issue ;-) and certainly not a sin. To most of the general public, Halloween is trick or treating and just that, anyway.
The girls have gone to fall festivals, church activities and even to the neighbors last year, so it's one of those things where we just want them to know what everyone is "celebrating" instead of just going along and doing what the crowd is doing, if they decide later they want in on the festivities that's fine. Until they are much older and maybe out of the house though no bloody gory costumes.
Anyway blah blah blah, that being said Diva had a parade at her school so we went to watch. I let them dress up in their dress up clothes we already had. They thought it was so fun, but when we went out shopping and to dinner that night they wanted to just wear their everyday clothes.

No comments:
Post a Comment