Sunday, September 6, 2009

Just give me Jesus... ("just" a mom day)

We're praying/looking/searching for a home church. You would think that in an area that is this concentrated with people there would be one we feel at home at. Oh there are plenty of places of worship, that's not the problem. (you'll see at the end, part of the problem is me)

I'm not asking for a lot in a church. I just want Jesus. I want his word taught in context, I want meat... depth, to dig deeper, drink longer and savor every crumb. Give me nuggets to "hide in my heart, that I may not sin against you", I want truth that I can chew on, digest, meditate on... Psalm 1:1-3. I want Jesus, I want to see Him clearly, hear Him clearly- challenge me to be a doer and not just a hearer- James 1. I want to hear passion, a passion for God, for Christ, for his love, for His word, for ALL people, not just this generation, not just believers, not just church goers or a certain denomination, not just Americans. I want a sermon that will have me walking away- thinking, searching, drawing near to God, clinging to the the cross, looking within myself, one that challenges me to not only acknowledge my sin and short comings but a sermon where the Spirit speaks to me and demands a change due to my love for Christ. A change of my heart, my actions, a drive and push to love Christ more. A message straight from God that stokes the fires and gives me no choice but to go out and love like Christ, serve like Christ, to die to self, to decrease and Christ increase. A sermon that screams "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes". Lord, I thirst. I want to worship, to draw near to, Proskunew -"kiss toward", give reverence. I guess I want the throne room.


I'm not saying we haven't been to any churches that God wasn't there. Please know that, I am not saying the churches here are dead or anything like that. There are churches/ministries here where God is working and moving. Sheep are being fed, the community is being served. We just don't feel lead to go to any of the ones we have visited.

Perhaps this isn't about a home church, perhaps this is about me. My heart, what God wants from me and FOR me. What God is showing me in my heart, the changes that need to be made. Perhaps this is a challenge for me to draw nearer, deeper and be diligent and stay longer. Cleanse my heart. No, this isn't about church, not completely anyway. John MacArthur gave a sermon once where he said, "But it's not just the minister who is responsible to study the Word of God, not just the minister to discern its truths. In the book of Acts there is a great testimony given with regard to a group of people, they're called the Bereans, that because they lived in a town called Berea. And when the Apostle Paul went there, he preached the truth to them. It says in verse 11 of Acts 17, "These were more noble minded than those in Thessalonica for they received the Word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." This hunger I feel, this thirst I feel. It is the Spirit drawing me, challenging me, calling me. Joshua 1:8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."

I have been stressed lately, I have been moody, tired, cranky. What I need, is to slow down and draw near to God. Rest under the shadow of His wings. Remember who God is, and what He is not. He is HOLY, my deliverer, my strength and shield, provision, Shepard, councilor, redeemer, friend, Abba, omnipotent, sovereign, loving, kind, gentle, just PERFECT. He does not seek to punish me to "teach me a lesson", He isn't "out to get me". I am stressed because I am looking around me at boxes and inwardly. I know, I know. Get over yourself, it's not always about YOU, 99.9% of the time it's not about YOU. Why does my outlook change so quickly from "up" look towards Christ, God and eternity, to inward, myself.

I was talking to Diva about our lives being but a vapor. Actually I was singing, "I am a flower quickly fading..." (I know poor child, she has to live with my horrible singing), and she asked what quickly fading meant, our lives pass too quickly to be so focused on ourselves. When will I ever learn. On the time line of eternity how much of this short time of chaos will really matter. Will the boxes matter? Unpacking? A Clean house? Life is but a vapor, I need to remember that as I pour into my children. This is no mundane task. He has set eternity in their hearts. He has given them to me for the time being, to love and care for. I must not look at these years and wish they would "grow up" so fast. Not without teaching them to hide his word in their hearts, to pray for them and with them. I must not see my task as mundane... forgive me Lord. For not looking up, not focusing on what's important, for letting the world and life blind me to all that is truly important. Help me not to forget, though I do daily.

5 comments:

  1. Katherine,
    So glad to know you blog. Love your recipes. I blog too, but have taken a break. I do pray you will find the church God has for you. I'm sure God will make it very clear where you are suppose to be. I know He did that for us. He basically picked us up and put us at Calvary. We didn't get to go to church today and although I missed it, I had such a wonderful time being with Him all alone outside. It was the most amazing time. Maybe the delay in finding the right church is preparation for something else.
    Try not to get anxious about it. He will always come through.

    The girls are precious. I remember when #2 was tiny and she captured all of us at the Bible Study. Beth Moore was no competition for her!!Have a wonderful week.
    Cheri Galloway

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine suggested I read "If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!: Making the Choice to Rejoice" by Lindsey O'Connor and just reading your blog today I thought I would suggest that to you too.
    (mommy2Es)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cheri! miss you all there at church!

    Mommy2Es thanks for the recommendation I will have to see if they have it at the library

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are not alone in this cry. yes, there are many churches around here, no arguement there. but churches where the TRUTH is preached with no apology... much harder to find. our church is in the midst of transition, growing pains that are much needed. my thursday night womens group has been God-sent for sure. we are a small group of women grasping firmly to Titus2 and encouraging one another along the journey. prayers that God will direct you to right where you belong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for the prayers and suggestions...

    ReplyDelete