Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's day

Today was really like any other day for us, Diva did know it was Valentine’s Day. We didn’t really do much we hung out, snuggled in bed and just enjoyed each others company. One of the girl’s favorite things to do is have me turn on some good worship music, upbeat, contemporary and they just dance to their hearts content. So we made sure to do that today. DH called last night fairly late so the girls didn’t get to talk to him, in my own selfish way I was glad. I was glad to get a full 13 minutes to myself, it’s never 15… that’s a myth I think. A full conversation without little voices saying: “Daddy, Daddy!!” Is that bad? It must have
been a gift for me from God. Usually Diva hears the phone no matter what time of day or night it is. DH commented on how surprised he was that she hadn’t come out of her room yet halfway during the conversation. He also said he was glad… we needed some couple time, time to renew us. Not that much can be done in 13 minutes, or said even. Half the time you are scrambling because you know time is running out. We talked about little things, how the girls were, how I was feeling. He wanted to call while he could because he knew that today he wouldn’t get a chance. Wanted me to make sure I wished his parents a Happy Anniversary today. I used to feel that some of our calls were all business, you know “hey this bill came”, “this happened with one of the girls”, “the washer is broken”, “what do you think I should do?”, “can you pray about this”, there just isn’t always time for fluff and romance but I realized with my DH that, as a man he feels it is his job to take care of us. The little discussions on everyday life and “business”, I think, let him know that we still need him and are so thankful and blessed that he loves us and cares for us. It lets him know that he IS able to care for us and love us even though he’s far away. I want to give him that, to have him feel needed and helpful, because he IS needed and he IS helpful. He mentioned that he wasn’t able to find time to send me something for Valentine’s Day, in spite of the fact that I told him not to worry about it or send anything a few days ago. Funny how early on in my marriage I would have said that but still have gotten upset if he’d listened to me. I think I am getting too practical. It’s not that I am not mushy and romantic, I am actually a hopeless romantic, I guess I have just grown to know that there is a love that runs much deeper that doesn’t have to parade itself with pomp and circumstance if you will. Not that I think all gifting and celebration of any holiday or anniversary is like that, I love gifts and letters and anything romantic like that, I guess I don’t feel that I personally “need” it as much as I did when we were just married and that it had to be on those “special” days or it didn’t count. (No need to tell DH that though).
DH was able to shoot off a quick email this evening, said he was headed off to the hospital to do some volunteering and wouldn’t be able to call. Loves us and misses us, of course. And to let the girls know that a surprise was on the way for them. I am so excited for them, they will be so tickled. DH isn’t good with snail mail of any kind. So I appreciate his efforts to show the girls tangibly how much he misses and loves them.
For dinner tonight I made some baked chocolate puddings and a butternut squash soup. We had it with goldfish crackers because we are oh so very fancy around here. The girls enjoyed it. I would post on Give Peas a Chance, but the photo uploading has been wonky on blogger lately. I am so behind over there and have a ton of photos and what not to post. :-(
Diva got to talk to Nana for a good hour I think and I am sure that blessed both of them. We wished them a Happy Anniversary and she played and talked on the phone, she was thrilled. We’re so blessed to have wonderful parents (DH and I), such a wonderful family.

No comments:

Post a Comment