Friday, September 20, 2013

Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo Dat.


Nehemiah 4
(I didn't skip over chapters 2 and 3, I just read them yesterday and this happens to be fresh in my mind. I also won't share my devotionals everyday)
Good ol Sanballat and Tobiah mocking the Jews, trying to tear them down with words while they worked.
Now, in this situation a lot of people would have a comeback, maybe a good one, a witty one, a smart one, one full of good points. Some people would sit down think about what to say, shoot, form a committee, pick a leader. Let's get these guys, tear them down, how dare they mock us.
In this first six verses? Not a word is recorded from the Jews. Not one. They instead prayed to God. Not always the first gut instinct, but it should be. I love verse six. 
"So we built the wall, and the entire wall was joined together up to half it's height, for the people had a mind to work."
Even when the enemy was conspiring to attack Jerusalem and create confusion in verses 7-9, they didn't stop. They didn't stop to pick up arms and draw up a battle plan- let's attack first! Surprise them! Nope. They prayed to God, set out a watch, and kept working. Later on in the chapter half of the workers worked, and half of them stood guard. They never lost sight of the end goal.
They were focused, they had a common goal. They weren't going to let petty people get in the way of the big picture. I just pray I can be like this. Build my wall, my "kingdom" to God's glory. Focused, not looking around, not getting distracted.
The Jews had work to do, they were of one mind, one accord. Arguing with naysayers? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

No comments:

Post a Comment