My mom's in town. She's been here helping us move and hanging out with us. I'm always learning new things about my parents. I think when we were younger my parents didn't talk much or go into detail about their youth or early days in America. There were a lot of struggles and sacrifice. We heard some stories, of course but I'm always learning new things. Or maybe relearning what I've forgotten. We were talking the other day while driving about homes. My mom was telling me about purchasing their first home. They came over to the US as refugees with nothing but the clothes they were wearing. A year later they purchased their first home It wasn't huge, it wasn't a mansion. But it was a good sized home, on a great lot. My mom was telling me how they just saved. My dad had $5 a week in his pocket, but he hardly spent it. They packed their lunches everyday for work. Actually in all the times I remember, my parents always packed a lunch for work. They now have multiple rental properties and are retired. Imagine that though, starting with nothing. I'll never know that, and I know that sadly many people do.
I think during my parents time, this was the American Dream. Owning your own home, having a steady job. I heard on the radio the other day some expert talking about how we need to shift our thinking of what the American Dream is. The shift from owning a home to just "having enough and living your life", that owning a home didn't have to be a part of it, or something like that. I think with the economy as it is, jobs being hard to find that statement made sense. Cost of everything is rising. But I also think that perhaps our generation doesn't have the same work ethic as our parents. Not everyone, some. I think also that some people are more, picky about their jobs- which jobs they are willing to take, maybe have gotten a degree in a field where they can't get jobs. Even with the work ethic, and a good job. Not everyone can own/purchase a home. Anyway, the point of this post is that, if anything I wish I had my parents work ethic and self control.
No comments:
Post a Comment